Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Good material for DIY barney

  1. #1
    Inactive Member kintaro's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9th, 2000
    Posts
    3
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi,

    I've got a Nizo Pro and am using it for double sound system. The noise it creates is just unbearable for decent sound track, thus I've been trying out lots of materials for a home-made barney to cut the noise down.

    Does anyone know well of barneys or shops worth trying?
    Any help or info much appreciated.

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Inactive Member Lil Scorcese's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 3rd, 2000
    Posts
    21
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Lightbulb

    The book "Super 8 in the Video Age" by Brodsky and Treadway has some excellent ideas for custom Barney's. If I remember correctly, they suggest using bathroom carpeting for the inner material as the padding will muffle the sound. Then just use synthetic leather/waterproof nylon for the outter material.

    I hope this points you in the right direction.

    Mike, anything to add here?

    -Lil'S

    ------------------
    Check out Indie Film North http://www.indiefilmnorth.cjb.net

    [This message has been edited by Lil Scorcese (edited April 11, 2000).]

  3. #3
    HB Forum Owner MikeBrantley's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 9th, 2000
    Posts
    173
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    No toughts on my mind now, but I do think I remember a do-it-yourself barney article in an old, old magazine. I'll see if I can dig it up and post how to do it.

    You know how most Super-8 sound cameras have those long telescoping booms for their microphones? I'd sure like to have something like that for my DV camera. Not because the camera is noisy, because it is not, but because I want to get the microphone close to the subject when I'm not set up with a remote microphone or with the assistance of a boom operator.

    I don't have a sound movie camera any longer, but I'd love to have a microphone on a telescoping boom that can be mounted on the shoe mount.

    Sorry I got off the subject with this one!

  4. #4
    Inactive Member kintaro's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9th, 2000
    Posts
    3
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Thanks Lil for your suggestion. I did hear about the book as one of the best Super8 book and have been unable to find it unfortunately. But I'll try bathroom carpeting and see how it gets on.

    Mike, it'd be absolutely great if you could dig up the article from your loft and post it here. Until then, I can't get away with this camera noise...

    Thanks very much guys.

  5. #5
    Inactive Member Christen's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 30th, 2001
    Posts
    18
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Lightbulb

    I aquired an entire collection of Super8 Filmaker a while back and there is an article on making barneys for Super8 cameras. I'm not sure about copyright infringment, the magazine is defunct anyhow, but if there is interest out there, I'll try to scan the article and post it on the web somewhere. Just let me know.

    -christen

  6. #6
    HB Forum Moderator Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 29th, 2000
    Posts
    11,383
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post


    There have been questions lately about Barney's....I stumbled across this in the archives.....

    -Alex

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •